Wednesday, November 10, 2010

ENG: Oral Presentationo Reflection

Preparation

This is a really tough part. We all are really busy and it is a little difficult to get together sometimes. Wen Lue was sometime not contactable and we were worried about him. However, when we met 3 days before the real presentation, he was really impressive. I was shocked by how much he improved from the peer teaching session. As for Yan Ling, you are naturally a rather shy person, presentation is not your forte. This is not really an easy job for you.

Nevertheless, I remembered sitting down at the bench at the end of the day, listening to everyone's section. I had an idea of breaking up the presentation into sections, making it like interviewing panel style of presentation. This is a really good solution to a presentation because it make the content easy to follow and there is a moderator who can reiterate the point. I think after we used the idea, everyone in the group gained more confident in presentation. I am really glad that I could help the rest to do better.

As for myself, I think I am a confident person in presentation. However, what I lack is the skill to handle the use of language. Hence, I need a lot of practice and preparation to present what I intend to. The introduction was done over and over again to get all the content inside without any awkward sentences. We also took video of ourselves so that we are aware of our non-verbal communications.

Delivery

In the end, the presentation went well. For me, I did what I intended to do in bringing the audience into the presentation. It was a good experience being a moderator for the group. It's not an easy job. The moderator have to pay full attention to the presenters, looking out for the uncleared or unsaid points, so that I could prompt the presenter to reiterate the points. However, through the experience, I think our group did a really good job helping each other in presentation style.

Use of slideware

Our group had a little disagreement on the slideware. For me, I have always preferred less words, simple and more pictures. However, to my groupmate, they want some of the point to be in the slide, so that they won't miss any point. I actually didn't like the idea and went to changed their parts and they weren't particularly happy about it. I am really sorry. I should have consulted you before. Nevertheless, we all agreed to tone down the slide and use ourselves as presentation.

In summary, through this presentation, I have learned a lot about working with other people and how we helped each other through. Wen Lue, sorry for being judgmental about the way you worked. In the end, you did an impressive job. Xing Quan is a very good group leader, keeping us on track. I am very grateful to work with you all. All the best for exam!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Billet for this detailed, deeply considered reflection. I've already made comments on the presentation itself. Now I'm wondering why your peer team is MIA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad,

    I am getting jealous of Nan Hai's blog which has 12 comments right now. Hahaha.

    Billet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Billet,

    Being a strong presenter, you have showed us a very good example what a presentation should look like. Good job done :)

    Adopting a story-telling style in the beginning was very effective and it attracted our audiences’ attention immediately. By not using any slides during your speech, you were definitely the main focus of the presentation. You projected your voice loudly to the audience and standing near to the audience made your presentation very engaging. Being calm and slow in your speech made us easy to understand your content and we felt at ease too. You have given us a very good first impression for your group by being confident and professional.

    The only thing I found you could improve is your eye contact. You tend to look only at the direction where the camera was. Maybe that has been a habit of you since you were the actor for Raffles Hall’s Production :D Haha, I am just joking. However, maintaining good eye contact with the audiences sitting at the two sides would make your presentation more appealing.

    Hope the comments can be useful for your future presentations. All the best to your preparation for the FINALS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Billet!

    Firstly, thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog post even though I'm not from your OP-peer team (:

    With regard to your oral presentation on Monday, I felt you guys did an amazing job. I mean, I never expected that moderator-style you adopted (and the potted plant was a nice touch!). It was refreshing, and seemed to really boost the confidence of the speakers in your group. Good to know the idea was your initiative! (:

    In your presentation, you were clear and articulate. I personally felt your eye-contact was excellent (or maybe that was because I was seated directly below the camera :P) haha! I also like how your group pre-empted a lot of potential questions, answering them yourselves so the audience would have no chance to shoot holes in your presentation. (:

    During your entire presentation, you came across as calm, cool and totally at ease. Whether is was due to your background in theater or not, you sure handled the pressure of being in the spotlight well.

    Overall your group's presentation was impressive and well delivered. It's good that you guys managed to overcome all the obstacles that came your way during the preparatory stages. It is evident that you've successfully adopted methods of crisis/conflict management and displayed effective communication skills. (:

    Congratulations on a job well done! All the best for the final exams (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Billet,

    A job well done on the successful delivery made on the presentation.

    You made excellent eye contact and your speech was entertaining through the use of stories to engage with the audience. I liked the way as May mentioned about the idea of pre-empting a lot of potential questions and answering among yourselves. This had clearly demonstrated a high level of preparedness for your group. You also looked calmer than before and this showed a great level of improvement from the previous peer teaching session.

    I like the idea of a moderator. The idea is quite refreshing and breaks the monotonous convention of giving a solemn presentation.
    Totally awesome!

    Cheers,
    Sylvester

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Billet,

    Your group's style of having a moderator caught my attention, but I noticed your eye contact can be improved. You tend to look at only one side and the centre of the class.

    I would definitely consider having a moderator for future presentations, thanks for the great idea!

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi guys,

    Thank you for all your comments.

    I think I stand a little too up front. That's why the eye-contact was hard to be made with the side. Anyway, feel free to use the idea in other presentations, yep. It's not patented. Hahaha. :)

    All the best for your exams.

    Cheers,
    Billet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww Billet! Now the NICE Yanling is here to comment.

    I thought you did great during presentation. We practised and practised and practised! :) Anyway, speaking about eye contact, your "Let's have eye contact lesson for today!" just before our presentation still makes me crack into a smile! The eye contact we were trying to get with the camera rehearsing till the lights came on and the rain poured.

    Anyway, allow me to reiterate the thanking because you have really been a great help to in my oral presentation. Suggesting ways for me to improve, curbing that 'erm' habit, ahhhh. RH concert has taught you very well and given you a lot of confidence.

    Anyway, it was really a great working experience with you. Pardon me for my lateness, being your eighth 'commenter'. HAHA, now you just need 4 more to be like NanHai! :)

    ReplyDelete