Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Why effective communication is important to me?


‘What is the purpose of my life?’ is the first question I asked before I answer this question. It is of utmost important to know what I want in my life before answering why this skill is important to me. As a 19 years old undergraduate, I have a dream of revolutionizing Thai education system.
As a child born to a middle income family, I am fortunate to be educated in top schools. Therefore, for my teenage years, I always thought of Thai education system as a decent one. However, during the holidays before university started, I had an opportunity to teach at an orphanage house in Thailand for 3 months. It was when I truly understand the education system. The quality of education in the school is so low that primary-one students couldn’t even add two digits numbers together. It may be partly due to their family background. The lack of love from their relatives might suppress their motivation to study. Nevertheless, the problems shouldn’t be blamed on them. We should ask why the government isn’t doing anything to improve the quality of education. Education is not about going to school for 12 years. It is what we learn inside that is important. Without education, quality of life will not improve and they will be idle in society. They could also be used as pawns in political conflicts.
This was the driving force for me to think about how am I going to change this. Personally, I hate politics, especially in Thailand, where corruptions are part of politicians’ lives. Therefore, I have decided I am going to set up a non-profitable organization helping the students especially in rural areas to improve their education and hence their lives.
Now, going back to the question why effective communication is essential in my life. For the goal I am looking at, it is a job that requires effective communication skill ranging from recruiting people to join the organization to effectively teach the children in the rural area. In recruiting and management of organization, effective communication would help in the understanding between colleague. Furthermore, by using speeches to motivate the staffs, the organization would run more efficiently and non-corruptly. Apart from the management side, I also have to go down to the schools and talk to the principals, persuading them to join the movement. We have to convince them that this is not an organization which looking for profits, but we want to help improve the quality of life in those area. Last but not least, I will be the teacher myself. Hence, effective communication will help the student get most from my lessons. Essentially, for my goal to be successful, effective communication is the key.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Billet,

    It was really an interesting read.

    After we go out of our comfort zone to see the world, it suddenly becomes so different, in a worrying way.There are many people at the margins who are struggle to survive.

    I believe the problem of education system is commonplace in many developing countries. Governments definitely should be blamed for not doing enough for the children. This is the problem of the public goods. We have to wait for the relevant authorities to act, because individuals are incapable of making any significant changes. It is heartening that you have thought about this social issue deeply and decided to do something about it.

    Best luck for your endeavor.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Billet, for this well developed post. I appreciate the way you let us know more about yourself through this short essay.

    Frankly though, when I first read it, I thought you had given too much attention to explaining your "life purpose" and not enough to the skills that you will need to attain your goal.

    As I reread your description though, I had second thoughts. Maybe you do expend a bit too much energy on the political problems that you see as underpinning the educational problems, and maybe you could make your post more clearly focused on the educational needs you want to address in the future, but I applaud your realization that the basis of your work will be effective communication. Still, there does seem to be room for a more complete description of the NPO you want to initiate and the skills you will need. But perhaps what makes that difficult is the fact that so many skills will be required of you.

    One language issue:

    Your write "For the goal I am looking at, it is a job that requires effective communication skill ranging from recruiting people to join the organization to effectively teach the children in the rural areas; from the management of the organization to the grassroots work."

    >>>

    For the goal I am looking at, the job requires effective communication skills ranging from recruiting people to join the organization to effectively teach the children in the rural areas and managing the organization to grassroots work (doing what ?) ____________.

    In any case, thank you for your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Billet,

    Firstly I would like to commend on your effort for putting up such interesting blog entry and also the way how you introduced yourself was unique. The entry gave a vivid description of the political turmoil that is happening now in Thailand. I could feel that you really did gave special thoughts on the problems faced in Thailand and mentioned some of your aspirations in improving the lives of the commoners. I believe that there are others out there who share your goal in life.

    However, I would like to point out the fact that you seemed to preoccupied in explaining the turmoil and adverse situation happening now in Thailand that you seemed to stray off topic. There is a feeling of anger and frustration detected in your write up which I find is getting too personal in my opinion.

    However, I would like to give special mention on your dreams of setting up non profitable charitable organisation in addressing the poverty issue being really commendable.

    Good Job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all your feedback.

    Xixi- I think an individual could make a difference in any issue. After all, an authority also consists of people. However, in my opinion, politic is about reaping off benefit for politicians not public good. Of course, there are great politician. Nonetheless, if the system is too corrupted, I think it's better to work on the NGO basis.

    Sylvester - Thank you for the advice. I think got to carried away talking about politic. Next thing I know, I ran out of word limits. haha.

    Brad- Is it legal to edit the blog or we should just leave it as it is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Billet.

    I fully agree with you that the most important question we should ask ourselves is "what we really want in life". Everyone should have a mission in his life, then he can maximize his time usage. We are living not to have good CAP, good CCA record, but to prepare for our goals in life.

    We should live a more purposeful and meaningful life!

    ReplyDelete